Division: Bureau of Housing & Development
Department: Transitional Housing & Programs
Status: Full-Time Exempt
Reports to: VP of Housing & Development
The overall purpose of the Clinical Case Manager is to provide comprehensive case management services to veterans who are accepted into the Grant & Per Diem program. These services include home and community visits in the Milwaukee area. These services are designed to help the veteran return to a stable and meaningful life within society.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct participant interviews and meet with the VAMC Social Worker to determine program eligibility and enroll as necessary
- Provide Landlord/Tennent training at intake and as needed as well as act as a mediator when issues arise
- Upon admission to the program in collaboration with the client – develop a safety plan to prevent and/or respond to psychiatric or substance abuse crises
- In collaboration with the client – develop a response plan for emergencies such as health, fire, crime, etc. . .
- Working with the multi-disciplinary team and the client – develop and implement a discharge plan
- Delivery of case management and supportive services as well as the development of an Individual Stabilization Plan (ISP) for veteran participants
- Review, monitor, and update the ISP at 30 days, 90 days, 120 days, and as needed
- Orient clients to their new neighborhoods to include navigating public transportation, location of grocery and other stores as well as other community resources
- Counsel participants to identify and then coordinate supportive services
- Coordinate information and referral services to in-house and community resources
- Maintain participant contact as well as service data and follow-up documentation
- Maintain participant records and make recommendations for funding compliance in accordance with HIPPA & funding entities
- Enter detailed progress notes into the HMIS
- Attend weekly CoC Veterans Registry meetings to staff all cases of veterans applying for or receiving services
- Assist in the facilitation and submission of documents and forms as required
- Participate in external outreach efforts
- Prepare monthly status and progress reports
- Review participant progress toward goals of:
- Permanent Housing
- Negative discharges
- Other duties as requested or assigned
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to effectively communicate clearly and concisely in both oral and written format
- Basic math skills
- Creative and flexible in assuming additional/significant responsibilities
- Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines & work flexible hours
- Ability to reason logically given both concrete and variable factors
- Intimate knowledge of veteran recovery community and issues
- Must be flexible, maintain composure in difficult situations and have a sense of humor
- Ability to relate to and interact with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Maintain confidentiality of all participant information
- Basic computer literacy skills in Microsoft products
- Knowledge of Service Point (HMIS) is a plus
- Master’s degree in Social Work plus either a CAPSW or CISW is required – An LCSW is highly preferred
- Minimum of three years of experience in case management or social work is required
- Valid driver’s license and proof of current insurance (Must be able to pass a DMV records check) is required
- Experience working with Veterans is strongly preferred
- Experience delivering services to SUD, COD, or homeless populations is also preferred
General office environment. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions. Work is performed in an office environment with standard office equipment available. Travel will be about 50%.
Work is generally sedentary in nature and will require standing and walking for up to 30% of the time. There will occasionally be bending, lifting and carrying of up to 10-15 pounds.
There are no direct reports.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.